We have been doing some “money dives” too — where a hand-full of pennies are tossed in the pool and the kids race to get them back into their team’s bank. Rules change. On day one, only one coin per person at any given time. Then the other day it was everyone for themselves. Still one had to deliver the coins into the bank before it closed — generally open only for 90-seconds.
Update from Week 5 from Heaven
At first when I went in the pool I was scared to go in the deep. I am good at SKWIM. Now I swim in the deep with a noodle.
Donovan and Zaria do a freestyle race across the pool
Cross pool race with Damian and
Donavan’s solo crossing of deep end
Damian in deep
Includes: Mia, Terrance, Terry, Imani, William, Donovan, Brooke.
Winning a swim race!
N swimming with underwater view
Cameron and some others
Damian doing butterfly
Damien getting a pull on his underwater pushoff in the streamline by coach.
I like when I score and learn how to use a noddle. I like when some people dive in. Another thing I like about swimming is SKWIM and playing other games, doing butterfly, going under water. I’m starting to learn have to swim in the deep, in 18 foot. I know how to swim in the shuffle, and I can go under water for 10.
What I like about Swim & Water Polo this week is that there is always something new and that makes me happy. For example the Thunderbirds are hosting SKWIM and Water Polo – special event on Saturday, July 15, at South Side. I also like how I learned to dive in the deep. I really liked the SKWIM game we played today.
Update from Week 5 from Brooke
Abrahem from week 3
I like everything in the water polo program. This week they teach us in water polo how to do diving into the water and the frog and to swim in the shallow water. They teach us how to swim in the deep.
I like to dive. I like to play SKWIM. My favorite part of summer was using the snorkel and diving for the brick in the deep.
Dear Parents / Guardians of Youngsters in Summer Dreamers Swim & Water Polo:
Lots of the students are making fine improvements in their swimming abilities in the past week. We have much more to do in the days and weeks to come. Here are some updates:
1. Please take a couple of minutes to fill in this info for me:
This would be a GREAT TIME to sit with your youngsters and be certain that specific, important information such as phone numbers, home addresses and email contacts is understood and can be communicated to the right people at the right times.
2. Try not to miss practices. We review but also build upon the skills day-by-day. New strokes and new games are blended into a pathway with the activities and missing days slows down our progress.
3. We invite you to join us in our quest for knowledge, safety awareness and fitness understanding in Swim & Water Polo. A great collection of videos can be watched at home. See our lesson plans:
4. Students get to do reflective writing. Lots of those clever insights, cute and adorable too, are posted at http://CLOH.org.
5. Students can WRITE outside of camp time too. Encourage your youngsters to reflect upon their swimming adventures. Help all you can. http://Play.CLOH.org/input/
6. We have an online class called, “Get Your Feet Wet – Swimming,” that everyone should be able to visit and complete. Students need a username and password to log into the course. First names are the usernames, (except for Jaylen_J and Jaylen_S), and passwords are set to SDA17. Give it a whirl. We are replacing the generic illustrations in the course with our own photos and videos.
7. Quiz time. We have four main tests, each with 25 questions. These tests can are online and offer the correct answers after each question. You can repeat the quizzes. They teach about aquatics and elements like SURF conditions, something that is not often experienced in Pittsburgh. A future vacation should not be spoiled with a tragic water event.
8. Are we Facebook friends yet? Community efforts are discussed and announced on Facebook. Send me, Mark Rauterkus, a friend request. This week Pittsburgh City Council is voting on a new change that would allow CITY EMPLOYEES to become sports coaches in Pittsburgh Public Schools.
9. Every Tuesday from 6:00 pm to 7:45 pm, weather permitting, all are invited to join us at Citiparks Ammon Rec Center Pool, Bedford Ave and Memory Lane, The Hill District, for water polo and SKWIM. Hope to see you there soon.
10. We expect to send home PERMISSION SLIPS for our Summer Dreamers so that we can go on a field trip to swim at local outdoor pools a couple of days in camp times. Stay tuned.
Mark Rauterkus, Executive Head Coach, 412-298-3432, Mark@Rauterkus.com
Click image for a larger view.
Swimming is fun in the pool. You can play water polo it’s like playing soccer, but not with your feet or two arms only one arm. Plus coach taught us some moves so we can swim better and learn more moves. That’s whats swimming is about.
Update from Week 5 from Anniyah
Every day we go swimming. We go in the deep and play water polo. And we do some exercise before swimming, and we dive in the deep and do all kinds of stuff. we try to dive and get the block from the deep.
I’m really good at four square. I beat a lot of teachers, and I always have a trick up my sleeve. My mom put me in swimming so they could teach me how to swim. They are really good at teaching me. Clearly, I am good at a lot of sports.
Jaylen J, 10
I like swimming because it’s fun and i get to hang out with my friend’s.I hope I get to play SKWIM some time soon.
I love Summer Dreamers because I get to swim and do water pool, and I love the teacher.
I believe swimming is helpful because if your sister or brother can’t swim and they went in the deep end, you can save them. Now if you want to go faster use flippers. Flippers are very helpful and I love them. If you don’t know how to swim yet use the swimming board. The swimming board will help you float, and you can kick and you will go.
I like the pool because we are learning lessons. I like swimming in the deep end. Sometimes, it’s fun to use the kickboards. We use fins too. It’s easy to swim with fins.
I like to swim. Sometimes we go in the deep and get to swim. I want to be a lifeguard and do the diving board. The kickboard was hard at first, but it is getting easier.
I like the pool because we play water polo. After we swim, we get to have free time. I took my deep test so I get to swim in the deep end now. I like the kickboards because they help you when you swim. I like how the flippers help you kick up and down when you are swimming. I like doing flips in the pool. In free time, we get to play basketball.
First we swim, then we practice with the kickboard. After we practice with the kickboard, we try swimming without the kickboard. It’s easy for me to do. Then we try swimming in the deep. We have free time at the end.
I love to swim in the deep. We all get to use kick boards. I tried the deep test yesterday, but I need to work on my strokes. Swimming with flippers makes us go faster. We get to use all kinds of swimming objects/equipment.
I like Swim & Water Polo. We get to play water polo. It’s easy. I like to go in the deep because it is important to me to learn how to swim. I like to use the fins because they make you swim really fast.