All from Pittsburgh Public Schools are headed to a back-to-school event at Langley K-8 from 1 to 5 pm on Monday, August 21, 2017 — and everyone is reminded to bring their swim suits, towels and goggles.
The Langley pool is small, but a nice place for a full-pool SKWIM game, Ultimate-style. Coach will bring the disks, head-bands and fins. We hope to get some kids from Summer Dreamers back in the water and even a few spectators to watch, learn about SKWIM, cheer on the kids and begin to plan on attending the Saturday Swim School events that are slated for throughout the school year.
Pittsburgh Langley K-8 is located at 2940 Sheraden Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15204.
About 20 kids got in the water at the pool at Langley for the special event. There were hundreds of kids and parents present, including administrators and Antonio Brown of of the Steelers.
You are INVITED…..
More Swim & Water Polo
for Year-Round Achievers
Join Coach Mark Rauterkus and others of all ages and all abilities at the pools on these dates:
GAME DAY, SKWIM Ultimate, on Tuesday, August 8, 2017, from 11 to 1 pm at the outdoor swim pool of The Pittsburgh Project, 2801 North Charles Street, Northside.
Every Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 7:30 pm at Citiparks Ammon Swim Pool, outdoors, Bedford Ave and Memory Lane, Hill District. Adults in the deep end. Kids and volunteers in the middle depth.
Monday, August 21, 1 pm to 2 pm at PPS Langley K-8, for #WeArePPS Back to School event. Indoor. Limited spaces. PPS only. Reserve your spot as the pool is not so large. Langley is at 2940 Sheraden Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15204.
Saturdays starting in September and throughout the fall, winter and spring from 11:30 to 1 pm at our Saturday Swim School at Oliver Citywide Academy, formerly Oliver High School, 2323 Brighton Road, Northside, Pittsburgh, 15212.
News, calendar and photos at CLOH.org. Courses at Play.CLOH.org.
Coach Mark is presently the varsity coach at PPS Obama Academy and has been a college coach for nine season.
Join in the fun:
6 pm to 7:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, weather permitting and while the pools are open, at Citiparks’ Ammon Rec Center Outdoor Pool, corner of Bedford Ave and Memory Lane, Hill District.
11 am to 2 pm on Tuesday, August 8, at The Pittsburgh Project, Charles Street, Northside.
See the calendar for other events too!post-dreamers-handout
Lots of the students are making fine improvements in their swimming abilities in the past week. We have much more to do in the days and weeks to come. Here are some updates:
1. Please take a couple of minutes to fill in this info for me:
This would be a GREAT TIME to sit with your youngsters and be certain that specific, important information such as phone numbers, home addresses and email contacts is understood and can be communicated to the right people at the right times.
2. Try not to miss practices. We review but also build upon the skills day-by-day. New strokes and new games are blended into a pathway with the activities and missing days slows down our progress.
3. We invite you to join us in our quest for knowledge, safety awareness and fitness understanding in Swim & Water Polo. A great collection of videos can be watched at home. See our lesson plans:
4. Students get to do reflective writing. Lots of those clever insights, cute and adorable too, are posted at https://CLOH.org.
5. Students can WRITE outside of camp time too. Encourage your youngsters to reflect upon their swimming adventures. Help all you can. http://Play.CLOH.org/input/
6. We have an online class called, “Get Your Feet Wet – Swimming,” that everyone should be able to visit and complete. Students need a username and password to log into the course. First names are the usernames, (except for Jaylen_J and Jaylen_S), and passwords are set to SDA17. Give it a whirl. We are replacing the generic illustrations in the course with our own photos and videos.
7. Quiz time. We have four main tests, each with 25 questions. These tests can are online and offer the correct answers after each question. You can repeat the quizzes. They teach about aquatics and elements like SURF conditions, something that is not often experienced in Pittsburgh. A future vacation should not be spoiled with a tragic water event.
8. Are we Facebook friends yet? Community efforts are discussed and announced on Facebook. Send me, Mark Rauterkus, a friend request. This week Pittsburgh City Council is voting on a new change that would allow CITY EMPLOYEES to become sports coaches in Pittsburgh Public Schools.
9. Every Tuesday from 6:00 pm to 7:45 pm, weather permitting, all are invited to join us at Citiparks Ammon Rec Center Pool, Bedford Ave and Memory Lane, The Hill District, for water polo and SKWIM. Hope to see you there soon.
10. We expect to send home PERMISSION SLIPS for our Summer Dreamers so that we can go on a field trip to swim at local outdoor pools a couple of days in camp times. Stay tuned.
Mark Rauterkus, Executive Head Coach, 412-298-3432, Mark@Rauterkus.com
Pittsburgh Public Schools will be hosting its annual back to school event, #WeArePPS, starting at 1 pm on August 21, 2017 — and this year’s event at Langley K-8 is going to include SKWIM and Water Polo.
Every year, families of Pittsburgh flock to an event designed to equip the kids with the resources necessary to achieve a healthy start to the 2017-2018 school year. #WeArePPS is open to all current Pittsburgh Public School students and it takes place at Pittsburgh Langley (2940 Sheraden Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15204) on Monday, August 21, 2017, from 1-5 p.m.
The events in the swim pool are going to happen from 1 to 3 pm. Advance sign-up on a web form is coming.
The event happens on a Monday as barbers are freely available to administer haircuts. This event includes a parent resource fair with information in alignment with districts beliefs. PPS aims to serve students and schools and create effective family and community partnerships in every school.
Other organizations, companies, and/or PPS departments can be a part of this event by hosting a table in our Parent Resource Fair. Or, you can offer to help us out at the swim pool by leaving a note below in the comment section of this posting. Follow up is expected. In addition to hosting a table, PPS is accepting donations (refreshments, books, school supplies, etc.) to distribute to families. If you’d like to host a table at the resource fair, please respond to Merecedes Howze, mhowze1 – at – pghboe.net by email by Friday, July 21, 2017.
Good News! PPS has already received 98 stuffed book bags from Pittsburgh Moms Blog! There are dire needs for book bags and school supplies.
Game demonstration and competitions with students from Summer Dreamers Swim & Water Polo as well as The Pittsburgh Project are being scheduled.
PPS Langley is one of the five schools designated for the new project, “PPS Community Schools.” Read more insights in efforts to include aquatics as a feature of this venture.
All are invited to play water polo, again, from 6 to 7:45 pm on Tuesday night, July 11, 2017, at Citiparks Ammon Outdoor Pool.
Version 2. If you want the edition of the slide deck in iOS’s Keynote, just ask.
Tip: Click the zoom box so that the slides fill your entire screen. Comments, questions and discussions welcome, in person or leave a note below.
More discussion about the role of aquatics as part of PPS Community Schools can occur at 4:40 pm on Monday, August 21, as part of the #WeArePPS event at Langley. We’ll be in the resource area. See more insights at the other posting.
I’m going to apply for a grant for funding from The Sprout Fund for $1,000.
I applied for this in the past and did not get it, sadly. I think the reasoning, in part, was that I’m from the South Side. True. But I coached the Manchester Academic Charter School students and that is at the Northside’s Sarah Heinz House. I coach the kids at The Pittsburgh Project in the summer and that is on Charles Street. And, we operate the Saturday Swim School at the Northside’s Oliver High School pool.
This year we will also be coaching the Pittsburgh Public Schools Summer Dreamers with Swim & Water Polo at Allegheny school on the Northside. it is right across the street from the National Aviary.
Click the image to go to the RSVP page at Eventbright.